
Tomorrow night, as St. Nick makes his journey around the world to bring gifts to children, one of Santa's favourite elves will be working on his behalf to take care of any newborns spending Christmas Eve at Rouge Valley Ajax and Pickering hospital.
Exy the Elf is returning to make her rounds once again, for an incredible 27th consecutive year. A longtime volunteer for the hospital Auxiliary, Exy explains it all started with red booties she brought to the nursery which were a big hit with the new parents way back in 1984.
It was the start of an Auxiliary tradition called 'The Christmas Babies Project', something she looks forward to and prepares for extensively every year.
"I want to keep doing it as long as I can," she says. "I don't do it for the recognition, I do it for the smile on the father, and the smile on the mother." She'll be joined by fellow auxiliary member Judy Fowler this year in handing out the gifts. The babies, depending on how many are in the hospital over Christmas Eve, receive either a sewn, knitted or crocheted item, that Exy makes herself. Over the years she's changed from booties to nightgowns and in recent years brings receiving blankets, sleepers or even little toques.
"The feeling is so great, so fantastic," she says. "When I started this, I never thought it would be the feeling, the experience it's been."
And she always looks the part for her Christmas Eve task.
"I always dress up as an elf in black pants, a white shirt, red toque and a vest. If it puts a smile on your face, I've done my job."


No comments:
Post a Comment